Wednesday, August 27, 2008

8/27/08

Ever since Sunday night I've felt like I've had a bit of whatever sickness the kids kept us up with last week, which seems to involve headaches, a sore throat and a general malaise. I seemed to escape Monday's run unscathed, even with the cautious speed-work thrown in, but it really hit in earnest on Tuesday after a bit of time throwing up on Monday night. As a result I ran very easily on Tuesday and canceled both my planned double and the weights/plyometrics session for later in the day. I was glad I did, as I felt a bit achy later in the evening.

Luckily, today I woke up feeling ready to run again. I met Lucas down on the river path for 7 miles of marathon-ish pace work, which was in line with what he had planned. After two very slow warm up miles in very humid conditions we got to it, and while the first two miles seemed a bit tough for the speed I finally started feeling good by the fourth mile.

The average heart rates for each mile are listed below, and it was nice to see them staying under 160 for the first five miles. Ideally I'd like to be able to get through the first 10 miles of the marathon before hitting a 160 heart rate, but at this point I'm not sure if that's going to be in the cards.

I am racing this coming Monday, so I'm planning on getting the long run out of the way tomorrow in order to have fairly fresh legs for the punishment. Here's the course profile:


Even with those pretty colors it still looks like a bear.

8/27/08
11 miles, 1h10m, 7 miles at 6:07(143HR), 6:03(152), 6:04(152), 6:02(155), 6:02(158), 6:03(161),6:00(161)
Sleep: 5.5h 5/10 (coughing too much)
Legs: 7/10 A little slow to come around but good after 3 miles
Weather: 73 degrees, 66 dew-point (really felt the humidity)

8/26/08
12 miles, 1h25m, 7:11 pace
Sleep: 4h 2/10 Throwing up and sore throat
Legs: 6/10 Slow slog needed, slow slog taken
Weather: 75 degrees, 65 dew-point

8/25/08 (late morning), 5 miles slow on the treadmill (around 7:50 pace)

8/25/08
12 miles, 1h23m, 6:59 pace, w/2x50 second bursts, 2 x 1:40 fartlek
Sleep: 6h 6/10
Legs: 8/10 Good for day after back to back
Weather: 74 degrees, 64 dew-point

4 comments:

Marc said...

I threw up just looking at the hill at the 4th mile. And my kids aren't even sick.

Good luck!

Mike said...

That's a beastly looking hill you've got there! Can't say that looks like all that much fun.

Phil said...

Best of luck this Monday. I won't soon forget the one and only time I ran up that hill. It seem to go on forever. Of course I also remember you passing me on your cool down run while I was struggling to finish.

Hope you crush everyone out there.

Ewen said...

Does the red signify where you die? 3.5 to 5 miles is a killer hill. Max HR data will be interesting!