Monday, August 04, 2008

8/4/08

Once again our house has become a sick bay, with Haiden getting over three days of fever and sore throat yesterday just as Finn woke up feverish. He kept us up most of last night, which made for a short, hot and humid slog this morning when I finally hit the road at 7. When I look back at my first go-around with Lydiard-based training in the summer of 2005 I'm amazed to see so many longer runs after nights like this. Nowadays I'm finding the body really can't slog through 16 or 18 milers on little to no sleep, and that my recovery in general is a bit slower. The same thing goes for trying to keep the miles up while working on my feet in Reno; It just isn't as easy as it used to be.

All this being said, I was quite happy with yesterday's 20 miler with the group. We added a quick water stop in the middle, where I took a gel for the first time in years on a training run, and it really made the second half fly by. It was a nice change to have something left in the tank by the end, and I'm hoping I can turn this into a trend again. Here's how the week went down:

Mo: 14 fast, 5
Tu: 7 slow (overdid it Monday)
We: 10
Th: 10
Fr: 10
Sa: 10 up-tempo
Su: 20
Total: 86 miles in 8 sessions

Given Monday through Friday's stint in Reno, I'm not too disappointed with the week even though the miles are a bit low. Saturday's and Sunday's runs were strong, and those were what I was most focused on. I'm hoping for a longer and stronger week this time around, starting with the evaluation run tomorrow.

For an interesting interview with my pal Nobby Hashizume, founding member of the Lydiard Foundation, check out Flocast's interview here.

8/4/08
7 miles, 42 minutes, 7:03 pace
Sleep: 2h, 1/10
Legs: 5/10 stiff and cranky
Temperature: 78 degrees, 69% humidity (yuck)

8/3/08
20 miles, 2h17m, 6:55 pace
Sleep: 7.5h, 8/10
Legs: 8/10

6 comments:

Eric said...

Shoot. I was hoping this was a video interview. I actually read this the day it was posted.

I'm starting to swing toward taking a gel once in a while during the longer efforts. There is definitely value in bonking once in a while in training, and learning to push through that underfueled, tired state. However, there's also a lot of value in fueling well and running strong through an entire workout. That's how we (ideally) race, so it makes sense to practice that in training as well.

Dusty said...

Stay well!! Nice on the 20 miles.

Hope you have a successful evaluation run!

running faster with the ALIEN LIZARD said...

Hi Mike,
Yeah its easy to have lots of motivation and enthusiasm when you are doing something new, like when you started following Arthur Lydiard's program,its never feels quite the same the 2nd or 3rd time around, I remember when i first got into cycle racing i use to go out training at 6 in the morning before work, great in the summer but very hard through the winter back in 86 when it froze up from november right through till march. back then thermal clothing was something only the pros had, man did i suffer !!!
my water bottle froze up on every ride, my feet and hands hurt like hell and my face use to burn in the icy wind. was i hard, hell no! just incredibly over enthusiastic, could i do it now, cause not am far to old and wise!!!
having tried out many different types of training over the years i have to say lydiard is the only way to go! i had great results following his base training last winter, but i lost my way some what this summer and have seen my results drop back, guess i really need a coach to stop me burning myself out through over enthusiasm ! keep on knocking them miles out mike, your best is yet to come!

Ewen said...

Thanks for the link. The message board on the Lydiard Foundation site is a good resource. They had a 'slide presentation' of the phases of Lydiard training which has disappeared - it was good.

Chris said...

Thanks for posting the link of my interview with Nobby Hashizume. I will likely interview him again differently. Let me put it to you this way. Nobby has so much information remembered from the past and the current that I listened talk for about 8 hours from memory...8 hours straight. I had the feeling he could have talked for a month straight.

Mike said...

No Chris, THANK YOU for putting the time in and writing up such a nice interview. Nobby and Megan were kind enough to host me last October during the Twin Cities Marathon, and my four days there were an incredible education. Nobby is a walking, talking running encyclopedia, and I enjoyed every minute there (except the marathon part).