Friday, August 29, 2008

Almost Like I Planned It

After three solid weeks of decent mileage it looks like I'm falling off a bit for this week. Feeling sick on Monday and Tuesday led me canceling the planned double and weights/plyometrics on Tuesday, then Mystery Coach and I moved up the marathon pace workout and long run to Wednesday-Thursday to get it out of the way before the race on Monday. This has put me back to one run a day for the week, and it seems as good a time as any for it. For those who think I never take a recovery week, this is Exibit A.

Thursday's long run was a solo journey of 20 miles, which is something I've been able to avoid most weeks by running with the other guys heading to New York. This time I had no takers for the 4:45 departure time, which allowed me to get back in time to bike Haiden to school. It ended up being a good run, with each mile along the way going by a bit faster than the one before it. I ran out of road before running out of gas, which I always take as a good sign.

I've kept up my preliminary speed-work this week, including 6x45 second bursts this morning during my 12 miles. I ran the rest of the way fairly slowly to give myself a chance to recover from the effort of Wednesday and the long run yesterday.

8/29/08
12 miles, 1h24m, 7:03 pace, w/6x45 second bursts, two every 15 minutes w/3 min recovery
Sleep: 7h 8/10 (finally)
Legs: 7/10
Weather: 72 degrees, 66 dew-point

8/28/08
20 miles, 2h11m, 6:40 pace
Sleep: 5.5h 6/10
Legs 8/10
Weather: 74 degrees, 65 dew-point

1 comment:

Joseph P. Wood said...

Touche, dear Michael, touche...