Tuesday, September 02, 2008

9/2/08

Results are up for the Saguaro 8-mile race I ran yesterday. Temperatures were low, but the humidity was stifling; so much so that we were actually running through a misty fog at the course's lowest points. This is the hilliest race I've ever done, and while it's a ton of fun it's also a real leg-breaker.

I managed to knock 44 seconds off my PR, which was set last year during my run-up to Twin Cities. As I've gotten into the second half of my 30's (I'm 37 now), the PR's haven't come nearly as quickly or as often, so I enjoy bagging one when I can.

I collected splits, but decided beforehand to just run as hard as I could without checking on my progress over the miles. I could definitely feel the boost some of the turnover workouts have given me during the early downhill portions, but when the road finally tilted down during the last few miles I just didn't have the strength or energy left to really take advantage. I'm hoping the next month of training will take care of that to some degree, as it felt like I was really moving in slow motion towards the end.

This morning was an easy 12, and during the run I could feel some of the muscle damage from the race. This one will take a few days to clear from the system, so I'm spending the first part of the week just running easy.

9/2/08
12 miles, 1h24m, 7:03 pace
Sleep: 7h 7/10
Legs: 5/10 Didn't expect any better
Weather: 72 degrees, 66 dew-point

9/1/08
11 miles, w/8 mile race in 46:43, 5:50 pace, 6th place
5:14, 5:22, 5:36, 6:08, 6:41, 5:50, 5:55, 5:53
Sleep: 7h 7/10
Legs: 8/10
Weather: 74 degrees, 66 dew-point

10 comments:

Private said...

That's some good running. It's the kind of race style I've been using in my races for the last while. Go off hard and hope that the legs can keep up. Some day they will!

Marc said...

Hey, moving in slow motion and garnering a 44 second PR doesn't sound too bad.

I'll leave the age comment alone. For now.

Congrats on the PR on a tough course.

Thomas said...

44 seconds of your PR is a massive improvement. Congratulations!

Thanks for you recent comments on my blog, Mike, and there is no need to defend them. You are absolutely right. I have not enjoyed certain parts of my training this time round, and the danger of digging deeper is there. However, I think I'm over the worst already.

running faster with the ALIEN LIZARD said...

great to get a p.b. I did a similar sort of race last winter 8.5 miles and 750 ft of climbing, its a race i've run many times but got a p/b. at 46 years old! and was amazed to break under 6 min miles, thanks to ARTHUR LYDIARD LONG HILL RUNS AND HIS LEG SPEED WORK WHICH ALOUD ME TO REACH OVER 15 MPH ON THE DOWN HILL FINISH.
NICE WORK MIKE!

Ewen said...

Good one Mike. Hey, you weren't far off an age-group win too. A PB like that shows you're on track for a fast marathon in NY.

Interesting splits. The 'hill' looked steeper than a 6:08/6:41!

Greg said...

Nice job Mike. Glad to see your hard work paying off again.

Love2Run said...

Nice to see the PR's still falling as you get older. The longer the race, the better you go it seems.

Grellan said...

Congratulations on a gret PB Mike.

Uncanny or what, your last year's PB was also a 44 second improvement!. Lets hope it's three in a row next year.

Mike said...

Thanks for all the comments, and sorry to be so late following up.

Private, I have mixed feelings about going out too hard, and I know it's killed me in the marathon. The first two miles of this race are controlled falling though, so the splits are a little misleading.

Ewen, the 35-39 age group here is comically fast. I'm right in the middle, and it seems that whenever someone fast "graduates" to 40-44, another whippersnapper ages in.

Phil said...

Congrats on the 6th overall and a new PR for this course. I can only imagine that few have any idea just how hilly that course is (unless they've run it)

Take care ... looks like you are getting some great weather in the mornings.