Saturday, September 20, 2008

Chart It



It was a civilized morning on the track, with slower runners yielding the inside lanes and everyone saying "good morning" to each other (and nary a dog to be found).

Mystery Coach backed down the 7 mile effort to 5:58 pace today, so I was able to cruise fairly comfortably through the run. The legs did feel a little heavy for the last mile, but after feeling sick to my stomach Thursday night and having a slow, shaky run on Friday I chalked it up to my system just being a bit stressed by either a bug or too much barbeque. The new Garmin is a royal pain in the butt when it comes to switching screens to find how long it takes for my heart rate to get back to 120, so I gave up and did it the old fashioned way at 1:40 and I was already at the recovery number.

In comparing the runs over the past five weeks it seems I'm slowly reaching a heart rate equilibrium at 5:56 pace or slower, which is a good sign. As I've mentioned before, I'd feel much better about a goal pace of 5:54 or so if I felt I could run that and keep my heart rate at or below 160 for the first hour of the marathon. As last week showed, however, I still rocket past a 160HR when I drop the pace to 5:50 or so for 30 minutes. Mystery Coach's 5:58 guideline for today was probably a very astute assessment of my current redline, as shown by the results today and on 9/5.

As I mentioned above, yesterday's run was simply damage control. As I drove into town to see Liam Finn play (Neil Finn of Crowded House's son), my stomach started revolting and I felt a wave of fatigue come on. I made it through an early show for a different band at another club, but I ended up just driving home before even making it to the Finn gig. A rough night followed, so for the run the next morning (Friday) I decided to go as slow as I could. Sticking it out for 12 instead of calling it at 8 or 10 was probably a little dumb in hindsight, but by the afternoon I was feeling right again.

Tomorrow's long-ish run should be interesting after getting the email from Mystery Coach. I'll let you know how it goes.

9/20/08
12 miles, 1h17m, 7 mile effort in 5:55(150HR), 5:57(154), 5:56(155), 5:56(158), 5:57(156), 5:55(156)
Sleep: 7h 8/10
Legs: 8/10
Weather: Nice

9/19/08
12 miles, 1h28m, 7:24 pace
Sleep: 6h 5/10
Legs: 5/10 (Blah, coming off a bug or something)
Weather: No complaints

2 comments:

Ewen said...

A shame you missed Finn... I remember when Crowded House was a new band!

I'm wondering how much speed/lower HR you get after the taper? Maybe 5:52 miles will be doable at a reasonable HR 'on the day'?

Mike said...

I did get to see Liam a year ago when he opened for his dad's band, so at least I've heard him play live one time.

You know you're getting old when the bands you see have their kids' bands opening for them (happened with the Police for me too).

As far as gains during the taper go, I really don't know. 5:54 or better is the goal, so hopefully I'll get there.