Saturday, September 13, 2008

Mike Learns a New Trick



While I couldn't get my Mac to agree with Ewen's cool graphing program, I finally figured out how to do one of these on my own. Yes, I'm pathetic with computers.

Mystery Coach has been assigning a seven mile effort on the day before my long run each week, so I figured it might be time to compare the last four (including the workout this morning). 8/23's run was supposed to be at a constant 155 heart rate, 8/27 was planned as 6:10 pace or faster if I felt like it, and 9/5 called for 6-flat pace. Today's run was our first try at hitting Mystery Coach's marathon pace minus 10 seconds pace of 5:52.

I felt quite good during the first half of the run along the river path, and I kept finding myself a bit ahead of schedule on the paces before easing off. During mile five I could feel the effort, but knew that I'd survive without draining the tank too much. With that being said, miles six and seven felt tougher than I feel they should have. I could feel I was over the red-line (or my maximum steady-state) for both of these miles, and chances are I crossed over somewhere towards the end of mile five.

Comparing the numbers above is a bit of an apples to oranges affair, but I do notice some trends. During the past three weeks the heart rate seems to have stabilized around 6 minute pace, which is good news if I want to run the same old 2h37m marathon in two weeks. Luckily for me, though, I still have seven more weeks until the NYC marathon. This means five more weeks to fine tune things, and even if the gains during the upcoming weeks slow under the increased volume I should still find myself ahead of where I was going into the Phoenix marathon in January.

9/13/08
10 miles, 1h01m, 7 mile effort at 5:49(151HR), 5:51(155), 5:48(157), 5:50(159), 5:50(162), 5:49(165), 5:50(167)
Sleep: 7.5h 6/10 ("Honey, is there a law against tying children in their beds?"
Legs: 8/10
Weather: 68 degrees, 58 dew-point

9/12/08
12 miles, 1h21m, 6:51 pace, 2/2x45 second bursts, 2x2 minute bursts (long recoveries)
Resting HR: 42
Sleep: 8h 8/10
Legs: 7/10
Weather: 65 degrees, 65 dew-point

2 comments:

Ewen said...

Nice trick Mike. Much easier to read than the old method.

Hopefully the 5 weeks of MC tuning will see that steady-state pace come down a bit.

Re the 6/10 sleep... maybe it's covered under the law about selling your children on eBay ;)

Ron said...

nice chart mike.

man it seems like just yesterday hall was running the trails in new york. I can't believe it's nearly been a year already!