Tuesday, October 07, 2008

10/7/08

The sprint to the finish at the end of Sunday's race seemed to have activated the very deepest of my buried fast-twitch fibers. You know, the ones usually reserved for jumping off the fire escape of a burning building or similar. As such the quads feel like they took on a little damage, so I'm just plodding along until the soreness subsides. I think the last ten seconds of that race probably added two days to my recovery, which is enough of a lesson for me to ditch any question of racing a 10 miler two weeks out from the marathon. I had thought of running the race as my 10 miles of marathon pace planned for that day, but I know there's too much of a chance of me getting sucked in and pushing beyond what I can recover from come marathon day.

Speaking of recovery, last week focused on fewer miles and workouts. Between recovering from the back to back workouts that finished a week ago Sunday and preparing for the race this past Sunday, it seemed as good a week as any to back off. Here's how it went down:

Mo: 10, 5
Tu: 12
We: 12, 5
Th: 16
Fr: 10
Sa: 8
Su: 10 w/8K race
Total: 88 in 9 sessions

This seemed to be a needed break, as I was really dragging on Monday and Tuesday of last week. The next two weeks will be challenging, but thankfully the energy levels seem good and I seem to be handling the workload. Thanks to all of you for reading, and for all the kind comments on the race this past weekend.


10/7/08
12 miles, 1h22m, 6:54 pace
Sleep: 6h 6/10
Legs: 7/10 Still sore
Weather: 60 degrees

10/6/08
12 miles, 1h24m, 7:03 pace
Sleep: 6.5h 6/10
Legs: 5/10 sore quads
Weather: 58 degrees

10/5/08
10 miles w/8K race in 26:32 (10th place, PR)
4:59, 5:15, 5:21, 5:38, 5:18
Sleep: 7h 8/10
Legs: 9/10 Ready
Weather 62 and breezy

10/4/08
8 miles, 57m, 7:10 pace
Sleep: 8h 9/10
Legs: 7/10
Weather: 60 and nice

2 comments:

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

I think you are dead-on about not racing the 10-miler two weeks out from the marathon. It's too easy to get sucked in. I did a 30k as a 'training run' three weeks out from a marathon and got suck in to the race. I PR'ed the 30k, but completely blew up 14 miles into the marathon three weeks later.

I hope the legs recover quickly. It looks like your training has been really good.

Dusty said...

This morning my coach and I were talking about the extended recovery for us "old folks" - ok, maybe not THAT old, but the changes from those old college days are quite evident.

I think you are smart not to enter the 10m race, it is really hard not to get sucked into a race. I ran a 5K recently where my coach gave me limits on my pace for the first two miles. I had to tell others I typically race with to hold me accountable, then start in the back. Seriously doubt I could hold myself back when I was in prime shape like you will be.