Sunday, October 19, 2008

10/19/08

Busy week at home and at work. My boss is back and my wife (the other boss?)is out of town, which means more work all around. Here's a snapshot of the week, which ends with me two weeks out from the NYC marathon:

Mo: 10
Tu: 12
We: 8 w/8x1000 at 3:13-3:17
We: 5
Th: 8 (car episode, don't ask)
Fr: 12
Sa: 10 w/6 mile marathon start simulation
Su: 19 w/10 at 6:49 pace, then 9 at 5:55 pace
Total: 84 miles in 8 sessions

Saturday-Sunday was the last back to back, with Saturday planned as a simulation of the first 6 miles of the marathon. This included an uphill start, followed by a shorter downhill section and pretty much rolling terrain afterward. I really wanted to feel great for this workout, but I ended up feeling very flat. Perhaps I wasn't fully recovered from the 1000's on Wednesday, or maybe it was just an off day. The details are below (10/18), and while the paces went to plan (starting at 6:10, then working down 5 seconds a mile to 5:55-5:57 pace), I had to put more effort into it than I wanted.

Sunday was a planned 20 miler, with 10 miles at 6:40-6:50 followed by 10 at 5:55-5:57 pace with three half mile surges towards the end to simulate some areas in Central Park. After Saturday's run I was apprehensive, and Mystery Coach let me know it was fine to pull the plug early if it clearly just wasn't happening. I ended up putting in 7 miles at 7 minute pace with some friends before heading off on my own, and during the next three miles I brought the cumulative pace down to 6:49 or so. I ran the marathon pace effort pretty much by feel, just glancing at the pace on the Garmin every half mile or mile to see if I was in the ballpark. While I hoped to see 5:55 on the nose, I was closer to 5:58 or so for the first half. When I turned into the breeze (and a slight uphill after running slightly downhill), the effort got a little tougher, but I was still feeling under control. However, by the time the planned surges came about I was starting to feel enough pressure to just continue at the same effort. By 8 miles I could tell my heart rate and respiration had changed, and I seemed to be either at or just over the red-line. Instead of really forcing it just to finish all 20, I called it at 19 miles and 9 miles at effort. Details are below.

I might add a bit later, but with Kiera gone it's just too crazy around here. All in all I'm happy it went as well as it did, but wondering why it didn't go a little better.

10/19/08
19 miles in 2h01m, 6:24 pace. First 10 at 6:49 adjusted pace (Garmin pace plus 5)
11-19 at 5:55 adjusted pace (Garmin pace plus 5)
Mile 10-12.5 HR: 149avg
Mile 12.5-15 HR: 150avg
Mile 15-17.5 HR: 159avg
Mile 17.5-19 HR: 164avg
Sleep: 7h 8/10
Legs: 8/10
Weather: 72 or so, light breeze


10/18/08
10 miles, 1h05m, 6:31 pace, w/marathon start simulation in 6:11, 6:04, 5:59, 5:59(unavoidable uphill), 5:54, 5:55
Sleep: 7h, 8/10
Legs: 6/10 A bad day for a bad day
Weather: 73 degrees and breezy

10/17/08
12 miles, 1h23m, 6:57 pace
Sleep: 6h 6/10
Legs: 6/10
Weather: Nice

10/16/08
8 miles, 55m, 6:53 pace
Sleep: 7h, 7/10
Legs: 8/10 Very hard to keep it slow
Weather: 75 degrees and windy

10/15/08 pm., 5 miles at 7:16 pace

6 comments:

Michael said...

I suppose it's all about staying fresh for the next two weeks. Good on you for not digging yourself a hole and best of luck with th missus gone.

Ewen said...

Looks like you need the 'other' boss back asap. Some 10/10s for sleep would be good in the next couple of weeks.

That's not too bad a week with everything else going on. I'd be interested to hear how Mystery Coach thinks you're travelling.

Wayne said...

Mike - you are a work horse. Great job in training and can't wait to hear about your marathon.

Greg said...

"All in all I'm happy it went as well as it did, but wondering why it didn't go a little better."

Don't we always want it to go a little better? Nice build Mike. Looking forward to a solid race in NY.

Dusty said...

Looks good to me - I sure can't wait to hear how you do in NYC! Now just get ready to blow out that race!!

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

I agree with Greg. You are into your taper now. Your race performance isn't going to be improved with your long-distance runs at this point, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. With the rest of your life being so busy, that is probably having a bit of affect on your effort. You are still on coach's plan and with no injuries, it sounds like you are right on track for a great NYC performance.