Saturday, December 20, 2008

12/20/08

Mystery Coach seems to be preparing to crack the whip a bit, as he advised some preliminary speed-work early in the week along with a 7-miler today at 6:15-6:25 pace. For the preliminary speed I'm putting in short fartlek-style intervals of 45 seconds to 2 minutes, with a very full recovery of 15 minutes or so between each. This seems to work well for preparing the legs for faster runs, and it's also much less boring than strides. As for the seven miles up-tempo today, I can't really complain. It was too cold for my crummy heart rate monitor to work, but it seemed like I was working towards the top quarter of my comfort zone. My body seemed determined to run 6:05-6:10, but it felt more like habit than red-line so I backed off when the paces got too fast.

On a different note, I'm proud to say Haiden and I kept our streak of getting to school under our own power for the whole first half of the school-year (with the exception of my days out of town for the marathon). We've been cycling each day, but this week Haiden told me she wanted to start running (I swear I didn't goad her into it, and even Kiera will vouch for me here). So on Tuesday and Thursday this week we jogged the .8 mile to school together, stopping every few minutes for a short walk break when I could hear her getting out of breath. Another semester of this and she's going to kill those kid-races (haha).

Next up for me is the Sun Run 10K on January 25th. I'm a bit behind where I thought I'd be at this time, but between my job and getting sick it's just how things are this time around. Enjoy the weekend and thanks for reading.

12/20/08
10 miles, 1h04m, w/7 miles at 6:15-ish pace
Sleep: 7h 8/10
Legs: 7/10 Lagged a bit but probably just rusty
Weather: 38 degrees

12/19/08
8 miles, 55m, 6:55 pace w/4x60 second bursts, one every 15 minutes or so
Sleep: 6h 6/10
Legs: 7/10
Weather: 38 degrees

12/18/08
7 miles, 50m, 7:11 pace, night run since Kiera was sick in the morning

12/17/08
8 miles, 57 minutes, 7:08 pace, concentrated on running very easy

12/16/08
10-ish miles, first nine at 6:45 pace, w/4x2 minute bursts, one every 15 minutes
Legs: 8/10

7 comments:

Thomas said...

I don't see much danger of Haiden turning into a couch potato at any time in her life. With those parents as role models, that was always on the cards. Well done to you.

Dusty said...

Go Haiden - too cool!

Mike said...

I imagine everyone's training slows down around this time of year. I'm sure you'll get back to where you want to be quickly enough to blast through that 10k!

Ewen said...

Your prediction of less than tongue-dragging intervals was correct. A good way to kick off the speedwork.

Haiden running to school is great! I wonder where she gets that from?

Mark said...

gotta love your location if its close enough to run to school, now that's living life. Happy Holidays!

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

I hope you and your family had a very Merry Christmas. Have a happy New Year and a great running 2009!

Love2Run said...

Looking forward to your adventures and training in '09 Mike and this little break will be good for you. Take care.