Thursday, December 04, 2008

Is This Thing On?

36 miles last week and 46 the week before. Those are some grim totals, but I guess if it's going to happen I'd rather see it during the month after a marathon. I apologize for the lack of posts, but between work, family and a few bouts of illness I've been running and posting much less often. I've taken five days off from running in just the last three weeks, but it seems like things are finally getting back on track.

The Thanksgiving Turkey Trot was a bit of a fiasco after I got sick Sunday night of race week. I ended up taking the three days off before the race, and when the big day came I was feeling flat and fatigued. Toss in a torrential downpour and a resulting mud bog for a course (and me with flats and no spikes), and you can probably guess how it went. The hills were so muddy that I had to go into an all out sprint just to get half-way up before losing my momentum, which meant walking with my feet splayed out and my weight forward the rest of the way to avoid sliding back down.

In the end I ran a full minute off my best, but I helped score for our team so I can't complain too much. Most peoples' times were 40 seconds to a minute slower, so maybe I wasn't as far off from form as I felt.

Looking forward, I'm going to just try to stay consistent with runs of 8 to 12 miles over the next week to make sure both the virus and sinus infection are gone for good. My focus is still the spring racing season, so I want to spend the next few weeks just getting healthy and strong again.

Instead of a long list of runs here, I've just put the last few weeks in the the log.

Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

Dusty said...

Great job hanging with being so close to pace (and similar to others) while you were sick! Hope you are 100% soon!

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

It sounds like if you only lost a minute in those conditions and felt 'flat', you much have been working really hard out there.

I hope the illness is firmly behind you and you can resume your normal training...

...and by 'normal' I mean exceptional.

Ewen said...

Sorry for smiling at that image of your hill-running form Mike.

You're right - post marathon is probably the best time for such problems. Eric has bounced back better than ever - you will too.

Anonymous said...

I can relate. I'm going through the same low mileage/illness bout as you. It must be something in the air.