Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Future is...

1/20/09
9 miles, 1h03m, 7:01 pace
Sleep: 5h 3/10
Legs: 7/10
Weather: I feel too guilty to disclose it today
Notes: Not enough calories or sleep yesterday so I postponed a workout today and just ran easy on trails around the Canyon

1/19/09
7 miles, 47m, 6:56 pace
Notes: Easy run w/4x30 second bursts with full recovery during the last 10 minutes. Felt good.

1/18/09
8 miles, 56m, 7:04 pace
Notes: Nice easy run

Working towards the 10K this Sunday, which is the first of many races for me in 2009. I'm putting marathons on the back burner for the year in favor of trying once again to PR at 5K, 8K and 10K during the course of our club's Grand Prix Series. Years ago I won this series, but since then a whole fleet of faster guys have come on the scene. I know most of them, which makes the competition even more fun than it would be otherwise. Here's the race schedule:

*Jan 25, Sun Run 10K
April 4, 7.4 mile Sabino Canyon Sunset Run
April 19, 5K Spring Cross-Country Classic
May 4, 10K Cinco de Mayo
*May 17, Tucson 5000m
May ?, 5K Meet Me Downtown
September 7, 8 mile Saguaro National Monument
*October 4, 8K Run and Roll
October ?, 10 mile Get Moving Tucson
October 24, 10K Oracle Run
November 26, 5K Thanksgiving Cross-Country Classic
*=Chance at a PR

I'll also throw in a few more races, including this 10K on March 22, which is hilly but might be fast. I may torture myself with another 5K on the track as well, which would be March 28. I have awhile to decide on this one, as getting lapped by college kids might be more than my fragile ego can take.

As for marathons, the tentative plan is to wait for Cal International in Sacramento, California on December 6. I could push for a late spring marathon, but I just don't feel like it right now. I love the distance, but right now I'm feeling the pull of the competition in these shorter local races.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Sounds like a blast!

Ewen said...

That should make for a relaxing and fun year Mike, without the 'pressure' of preparing for a marathon.

Tweak the speed a bit and you'll give those PRs a scare (and the college kids in the 5000).