Monday, January 26, 2009

A Joke:

"Why did the chicken cross the road?
...To get a haircut!"

This is our 6-year old daughter's new joke, which for some reason makes our 3-year-old son laugh hysterically.

Kids. They make no sense, but they are quite amusing. ...Even when they're both sick, and even when their mom is out of town.

In short, I'm being run a bit ragged so the posts have dipped. An easy 5 miler on Thursday, 7 on Friday and another 5 on Saturday led into the 10K on Sunday, where I ended up running 34:40 according to the results. I felt a bit sluggish race morning, and while I thought I might be able to pull out a good day it just started to go wrong in the second half. I ran pretty much all but the first 800 meters in no-man's land, so it was hard to mentally stay in it. 5:17, 11:17 (missed the split), 5:33, 5:50, 5:40, 1:09 tells the story. Luckily for me I have great friends who were able to watch the kids during the race, though as soon as I crossed the finish line I darted to the car to get our daughter to a bowling party that started 20 minutes later.

Since then both kids have taken ill, starting with our daughter throwing up last night. She missed almost all of school today while I stayed with her, and our son developed a mean cough while off with Kiera's mom today. As I type both are hacking away in their rooms and I'm tired as all get out.

No opportunity for a run today, and tomorrow should be the same, but after Kiera gets home tomorrow night things should improve. That's all I got.

4 comments:

RICK'S RUNNING said...

What do you call a chicken running across the road reciting verse!
POULTRY IN MOTION!!!
Dam wish i could run that fast!!!

RICK'S RUNNING said...

"Fowlest Jokes Of The Month"
Q: Why did the chicken cross the road halfway?
A: She wanted to lay it on the line.
Q: Why did the Roman chicken cross the road?
A: She was afraid someone would caesar!
Three legged Chicken
A man was driving in the country when he saw a three legged chicken. He noticed the chicken was running 30 mph. Pretty fast chicken, he thought, I wonder just how fast it can run. So he sped up and the chicken did too! The man in the car sped up again, to his surprise the chicken was still running ahead of him at 60 mph!!!
Suddenly the chicken turned off the road and ran down a long driveway leading to a farmhouse. The man followed the chicken to the house and saw a man in the yard and dozens of three legged chickens. The man in the car called out to the farmer "How did you get all these three legged chickens?"

The farmer replied, "I breed 'em. Ya see it's me, my wife and my son living here and we all like to eat the chicken leg. Since a chicken only has two legs, I started breeding this three legged variety so we could all eat our favorite piece."

"That's amazing!" said the driver "How do they taste?"

"Don't rightly know, can't bloody catch them!!!

Ewen said...

That's not bad Mike (not talking about the joke). 34:40 is a good starting point for that sub-34 PR.

Hope the kids are feeling better.

Chris said...

http://www.flotrack.org/articles/view/767-keith-livingstone-healthy-intelligent-training

Being a Lydiard guy, here is an interview I did with Keith Livingstone - the author of Healthy Intelligent Training...The Lydiard Foundation adopted the book as an official text for their training programs.

The interview is quite long, but quite funny - Keith is a laugh a minute....