Wednesday, March 11, 2009

3/11/09

3/11/09
8 miles, w/2 miles at about 5:23 pace, 60 seconds rest, then 1 mile in 5:23
Sleep: 7h 7/10
Legs: 6/10
Weather: Perfect

Mental notes: Pfffft!
Rough one today for some reason. The workout called for a steady 3 mile run with the first two miles at 5:22 pace and the third mile at 5:21. I took the same three mile warm up with a few aggressive strides which served me well last week, but I felt a bit sluggish from the get-go once I started around the track. After 6 very even laps at 80 seconds (on pace) I started to really fatigue in the legs while the breathing increased. I rode it out to 8 laps, but fell two seconds behind during those two laps. I just didn't seem to have the last mile in me, but I decided to give it a go after 60 seconds of rest (not the plan, but needed). The first 800 after the rest found me on pace again, but then the last 800 found the legs starting to unravel a bit (losing their strength and drive), and I ended up at 5:22 (5:24 adjusted).

I thought it would go a bit better today, so I'm a little surprised. It feels like once I get loaded up with lactate it comes on fairly strong in the lungs, then migrates down to the legs. It's true I felt a bit better Saturday at a second or two faster per 400, but if I'd stretched it out to two miles then I'm wondering if I would have found myself in the same state.

I know I'm still under-sharpened for this spring, but I still sometimes get the nagging feeling that perhaps a decline in my maximum steady state is partly to blame for my struggles at 5K and 10K pace. I'm not suggesting I'm ready to head back into base training, but I have been thinking about whether bumping the mileage back up would help a bit with the steady state without sacrificing the quality I'm putting into the faster workouts.

2 comments:

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

I'm not sure if additional mileage would cure the situation or make it worse. I guess I'll leave that one up to Mystery Coach. I'm just always amazed at how refined your sense of pace is - how you are able to tell the difference in a mile time of just one or two seconds. I understand it on some level - I had that sort of body awareness as a collegiate golfer, but I sure don't have that kind of feel for running pace.

Ewen said...

I'm thinking the same thing. What's your average weekly mileage been over the last 8 weeks or so?

It probably wouldn't need much of a bump up (for long) to see some return on the aerobic side of things while still keeping the quality workouts going.