Wednesday, March 04, 2009

3/4/09

3/4/09
8 miles, 55m, w/1x1600 in 5:04 (2 min), 800 in 2:31 (1 min), 800 in 2:32
Sleep: 7h 6/10 (kids, sheesh)
Legs: 6/10
Weather: 62 degrees (yes, really)
Notes: Botched workout. Mystery Coach prescribed 6 laps of 76's, or the equivalent of 5:06 pace. The goal was to run fast and relaxed at 5K race pace, but unfortunately that became impossible after about 1000 meters. I started to get a bit hypoxic and crossed jumped right past the "comfortable" line. Rather than be forced to slow down dramatically for the last 800, I called an audible and finished 1600 on pace then took two minutes before running an 800 in 2:31. After a minute of rest I ran a final 800 in 2:32. Each 800 felt the same: Cool and relaxed for 400, then the breathing would increase dramatically for 200 followed by the legs stinging a bit and the lungs feeling it for the last 200.

I think we're starting to test the boundaries a bit after some good fitness gains during the past six weeks, and while I'm disappointed with how today went I think a few more sessions like this will help. I also think doing a very hilly 15 miler on Sunday following 8 miles around 6:03 pace on Saturday left me with some residual fatigue, which didn't help me today.

3/3/09
10 miles, 1h09m, 6:52 pace
Sleep: 8h 8/10
Legs: 7/10
Weather: Nice
Notes: Threw in 6x300 jog, 100 accelerate-sprints, plus 1x650m downhill stride

3/2/09
8 miles, 58m, 7:18 pace

3/1/09
15 miles, 1h44m, 6:59 pace
Notes: Hot, windy and hilly. Running up to the top of the road in Sabino Canyon seemed like a good idea when I started.

3 comments:

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

I think you are probably right about running into a boundary with that amount of training gains you have amassed. I'm wondering if the sudden increase in temperatures here that last week might also be producing some of the problem. I know I always struggle for a couple of days when the temps make a sudden jump, and it hit me pretty hard on Saturday during my run.

Ewen said...

It's a fine line. I'm wondering if you started too fast? First lap time? I wouldn't call it botched if you learned something from it.

Mike said...

Mike, I agree w/ your assessment. You mentioned in your post that the 6:03 pace 8-miler felt tougher than usual, and w/ the hilly 15-miler right behind it, it may have set you up w/ some extra fatigue.

I found when I was feeling great during the time I was doing intervals/reps twice per week that I was putting a little extra effort into my easy runs as well. One day I went to the track and surprisingly, just didn't have it. When I looked back at my logbook, I noticed that I made a similar comment after an easy run just a few days before the blown workout. "wasn't as easy as it should have been" were the words I used. I blew that next workout a few days later as I knew from the onset of rep #1 that something just wasn't right - breathing way too heavy for the pace I was going, etc. I wound up backing off on the intensity for 4-5 days and I was fine.

Of course I'm just speculating. I imagine you'll be feeling 100% pretty soon - good luck w/ the training!