Wednesday, December 16, 2009

After

I still don't have a good reason for my dismal marathon performance. Possible factors include not enough carb loading, which I eased up on in hopes of having my stomach behave this time around (I think I was a bit over-filled for NYC), or perhaps taking too long of a taper, which could lead to some de-conditioning of the quads for all of the pounding on the rolling course. Whatever the reasons are, I'm trying to put this one behind me.

Conditions seemed perfect at the start with overcast skies and a temperature of 35 degrees, and I had a very good feeling about how the race would go. The first hour went by quickly with steady miles of 5:52-5:58, but soon after the wind kicked up and became a factor. The halfway mark found me at 1:17:38 (the only accurate split for the online tracking), but around mile 14 I found myself struggling a bit to stay on pace the cross-wind turned into a strong headwind. Mile splits started to fade to 6:00, then 6:10, and by 19 I knew that even 2:40 would be almost impossible. The lungs were fine, but the legs were aching. It hurt to pick them up, and I could feel all the power going out of my stride. The last four miles were grim and slow, and I hit the line in a disappointing 2:49.

On a more positive note, the three friends who also did the race had great days. My training buddy Lucas ran a 2:38, and he looked great when he passed me around the 18 mile mark.

Since the race I've been running sparingly, and the legs really held on to the soreness a bit longer than usual. I'll be back for the spring races, but I'm in no hurry at the moment.

Thanks for reading. I'll be going on extended hiatus for the holidays, but I wish you all good health and good running.

12 comments:

Greg said...

Hang in there Mike. I still think your breakthrough race is coming. Any inclination to try Chicago? I don't think you've ever run a "fast" marathon under optimal conditions.

Thomas said...

Things must have been bad if you ran a 1:32 second half. Not sure what to say apart from the old platitudes like we all have our off-days.

Enjoy the good ones and learn from the bad ones?

Most of all, enjoy the holidays and let the mojo return.

Ian said...

Hey Mike, sorry to hear you had a rough day out there. I'm with Thomas...'enjoy the holidays and let the mojo return.' I may even get a tattoo of that.

Anonymous said...

+1 Thomas. Chalk it up to a bad day, it wasn't carb loading or too much taper. Sounds like the conditions were far from ideal, the wind was brutal.

Gregg said...

HI MIKE,
We didn't get much time to talk but it sure was nice to get to meet you. Sorry things didn't work out. I too was feeling "wasted" during the last four or five miles. A point on that specific course where I was wishing things were different, as it could have been easy to fly those last miles.... too bad.

I had the opportunity to run a lot with your friend Lucas and didn't know you two knew each other. Funny!

Hope to run into you at some race again.
Keep on plugging away.

Gregg

Anonymous said...

In my late 30's I began to have problems doing the training I did in my early and mid 30's. It was less speed and more a volume thing. I struggled with it for several years before I realized that I needed to adjust. If you look back at your blog you can see two things (or at least I can see them). Your may be over training. You seem stale and less motivated. You have way too much non running stuff going on in your life. Something has to give. Trying taking a day off a week and cutting back your weekly miles once you build up again. Focus somewhere else than the marathon. You might surprise yourself.

Anonymous said...

Mike...
Do a fast marathon like Toronto Scotia or Toronto Marathon. You will like them.

Mark said...

that sucks! enjoy your family and the holidays there'll be more races

Ewen said...

A combination of all? The wrong race and an 'off day'? Whatever, I hope you can put it all together for a good one in 2010. Enjoy the holidays!

runperryrun said...

You finished even though you didn't achieve your goal you were out there going for it and that's half the battle. Keep moving forward and look at all you have done. Perspective is everything in running soon you will be able to look at your run as a stepping stone. Congrats!

Dusty said...

I'll be thinking of you on Sunday. I'm doing my first marathon - RNR AZ. I won't be going by as fast as you, that is for sure! HAHA!

Anonymous said...

What happened with the Mystery Coach and his ebook?